Event Liability (non-UC parties)

Event Liability (non-UC parties)  


Individuals and outside organizations may hold events at facilities provided they:

  • Obtain written permission from the facility in charge of the space they wish to use
  • Provide the insurance for the event

To get an online premium quote and apply for coverage, simply click the Apply Online button. If you have questions or need more information, contact Mercer at 1-866-838-9536.


Please note, the Certificate of Insurance for which you are applying may be subject to additional approval requirements by the underwriting Insurance Company. Please be sure to submit your application at least 7 to 10 days prior to the event date in order to meet your organization’s event insurance needs. Submission of a completed application and/or premium payment is not a guarantee of coverage. Coverage is not in place for your event until Certificate of Insurance is provided.


During the renewal process and website update, you may not be able to access the online registration. If you need to obtain a Certificate of Insurance during this time, a manual application (pdf) can be emailed to our team at: plsdsteam.service@mercer.com.

Get a Quote Today

To apply for coverage, simply click the Apply Now button below or you can download a form.


  • Provided your Student/Campus Organization is in good standing with your Campus’ Student Life Department and you have written permission from the appropriate Campus department to use the space requested, your event will be automatically insured under the blanket RSO policy, unless any one or more of the following apply:
    • Is an event listed as a hazard class 4 in the hazard class chart.  Some examples include:
      • Events of a political nature, such as conventions, lectures, rallies and speakers;
      • Events held by National Greek Life Organizations.
    • Involves more than 5,000 people.
    • Products coverage is needed:

Covers costs to you associated with injuries or illness sustained by a guest arising from ingesting or using a food, beverage or souvenir. If the distribution or sale of food, beverages and souvenirs will be part of your event, you must purchase products coverage ($5 per $1,000 of expected sales).  If the total expected sales are more than $10,000, underwriting review is required.

    • Garage Keepers coverage is needed:

Covers damages to your guests’ vehicles caused by you if you provide parking for their vehicles. If you are not parking their vehicles at your event, you do not need this coverage. If a Vendor, hired by your organization, is parking vehicles at your event, the Vendor must provide a Certificate of Insurance naming your organization and The Regents of the University of California as Additional Insureds.  Please call our service center for additional assistance.

    • Auto Coverage is needed. Please call our service center for additional assistance.
    • Local police or outside armed security guards are needed (Campus security only does not require underwriting review).
    • Camps/Campus Tours with minors (under age 18) that are overnight.
    • Amusements.
    • Inflatables.
    • Large tents.
    • Liquor Liability Insurance is needed.
    • It is a sports event for which signed waivers have not been obtained and/or accident medical insurance has not been confirmed or obtained (some groups will qualify for the Accident Medical policy provided by University of California; view the Accident Medical Policy Summary).

If any of the above circumstances are applicable, your event will require additional underwriting which may take 7-10 business days.  You may proceed with an application, unless advised above to call the service center specifically.  Please click the Application Form above in “Quick Links” to print and complete the paper application form, which may be submitted to Mercer via email at plsdsteam.service@mercer.com or fax at 1-515-365-3005. Please be sure to submit your application at least 7 to 10 days prior to the event to allow for underwriting.

Route the Accident Medical Policy Summary here 

Download PDF Forms

Claims Reporting

How to report a claim:
  • Philadelphia Process (Liability Claims)

    1. Gather the Facts

      When reporting a notice of loss (injury, property damage to third parties, auto accidents, etc.; related to a registered event), please provide as much detail as possible. This should include, but not be limited to, Insured Name (The Regents of the University of California plus student organization/club name), Contact Name (student organization/club), Policy Number, Claimant Name, Claimant Contact Information, Date of Loss, Location of Loss, Cause of Loss, Your Policy or Reference Number, Initial Steps Taken to Mitigate the Loss, Type (s) and Description of Damage and Estimated Amount of Loss.

    2. Report
      • -Available Online

      • -Philadelphia Insurance Companies 
        Attention Claims Department 
        One Bala Plaza, Suite 100 
        Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004-0950

      • -Phone: 800-765-9749 
        Fax: 800-685-9238 
        Email – claimsreport@phlyins.com
    3. Follow Up
    4. The claims customer service department will immediately process your first notice of loss and you will be contacted by your servicing representative.

      For information on how to report a University of California Accident Medical claim, view the form.

Contact Mercer at 1-866-838-9536 from 8a to 5p (CST) with questions.

One note: your representative may refer to TULIP coverage. Don’t worry. TULIP stands for Tenant User’s Liability Insurance Policy, and it is what you are applying for.


We're here to help! Please contact us in whatever manner is most convenient for you.

 Direct Phone
 M-F 8a-5p CST
 Mailing Address
Program Administrator
Mercer Health & Benefits Insurance Services LLC
PO Box 14521
Des Moines, IA 50306
 Street Address for Express Shipments
12421 Meredith Drive
Urbandale, IA 50398